Skip to main content

Cure - Unity Timeline

I think I've said this before, but the Unity Timeline is fantastic! (Despite not playing sound). It works very similarly to Premiere Pro, a software I'm familiar with enough to transfer the skills over to Unity.

For my final film, I imported my animation one file at a time and made sure they were set up correctly in the timeline before moving onto the next import. As I'm using alembic cache, I have to have a new model for each animation so after speaking to my classmate Diebrig, she told me that I can use an activation track to switch the geometry off and on which is much easier than animating it off and on. So my general timeline for 1 shot looks something like this:


Now, in this first shot, the character loses two polygons which are separate cached objects meaning they need their own tracks. The first green track is an activation track for the duration that this walk cycle animation is running. The next track is the alembic cache of the walk cycle animation. The white bars above it show that it is looped and also sped up. The next track is the animation to move the model as she walks. This is slightly sped up to counter any foot slide.

After these initial tracks are the tracks for the dead polygons. This includes the same alembic cache of walk cycle animation so that the dead polygons move with the model. Then there is an animation track containing two animations where the polygon fades and then falls off the model. There are two dead polygons and in total this gives an extra 14 tracks between the different animations that need to be layered.

The final two tracks are animations for the devices on the character that pulse blue and red.

As well as tracks for the character, I also have different activation tracks for the depth of field. In total, I have 7 different depth of field objects for different shots. Many of these can be reused on various shots and you can see where different ones are on or off depending on where the activation track is.


The first track in this image is the only animated depth of field. This object contains two different depth of fields, one for a close image and one for a wide shot and as the camera pans up I need to change between them. You can see this in the 3 key frames on this track.

So between character animation, including dead polygons, depth of field, the background planes that float around and other objects that are only seen at certain points of the film, my timeline eventually looked like this. (Thank God for groups). Every track that begins with a number is a character animation shot.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cure - Advanced Skeleton 5

I spent a fair chunk of the day yesterday playing around with Advanced Skeleton 5 in Maya and honestly, it's amazing. I wasn't sure how well it would work with my model because it is so low poly but I came out surprisingly well. So Advanced Skeleton gives you the joints from a template and once they're all lined up you can build the controllers to see how it will move. Because you do all of this in stages, you can change and update the rig at any point.  There are a few different methods to bind the skin and this is one of them, but in the end I didn't use the Skin Cage because it didn't seem necessary for my model. Once the body rig was done I spent a LONG time trying to get the facial rig to work. I was clearly doing something wrong the first few times I tried it because it worked just fine when I sat down and worked through it step by step! The skeleton also comes with pre-made walk cycles so I put my character into these to see how the de

A Quiet Place

Earlier in the week I went to see A Quiet Place and as someone that doesn't watch a lot of horror films, it was not what I expected. The premise of A Quiet Place is pretty simple: There are monster out there and if you make a sound, they'll come for you and it's safe to say that I have never felt more tense in a cinema (And on a side note, that was the quietest cinema I have every been in). The film's main dialogue comes from sign language with a few rare vocalised sentences. This means, for the most part, that we're focused on how the characters move, how they act rather than what they say and I was shocked at how quickly I felt attached to the characters: I didn't want them to be in this situation, I wanted them to be safe but, shockingly, they weren't. The pace of the film is just enough to make you think that there's a safe respite ahead and there are gaps in the chaos before a sound crashes through the screen snapping you awake. There are m